WORKING WITH THE TEXT
Answer the following questions. (Refer to that part of the text whose number is given against the question. This applies to the comprehension questions throughout the book.)
1. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really? (2)
Patrick thought his cat was playing with a doll. But he was mistaken. The doll was really a little man or elf.
2. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish? (2)
The little man was in serious trouble or danger. He appealed to Patrick to save his life from the cat. In return he promised to fulfil one wish of Patrick.
3. What was Patrick’s wish? (3)
Patrick wished that the little man or elf should do all his homework till the end of the session.
4. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework? (5, 6)
The little man needed Patrick’s help in English, Math and History.
5. How did Patrick help him? (7)
Patrick had to consult a dictionary, guide the elf in doing sums in arithmetic, and read out portions from history books.
6. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man, or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer. (9, 10)
Truly speaking, it was not the elf but Patrick himself who had done all the homework.
Page no – 11
WORKING WITH LANGUAGE
A. Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box. (You may not know the meaning of all the words. Look such words up in a dictionary, or ask your teacher.)
1. Some people find household ____________________ a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a _______________________ .
3. This ______________ we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. __________________ , the elf began to help Patrick.
5. Can you ___________________ this word in the dictionary?
6. I started early to be on time, but I was _________________ . There was a traffic jam!
7. She says she’s got a lot of books, but ___________________ I think most of them are borrowed.
4. true to his words
5. look up
6. out of luck
7. between you and me
B. Use the clues given below to complete the crossword puzzle.
See question in your book.