WORKING WITH THE POEM
1. Do you agree with what the poet says? Talk to your partner and complete these sentences.
- A house is made of ________
2. It has _________________
3. A home is made by ________
4. It has _________________
- A house is made of brick and stone and hard wood.
2. It has glass windows, a piece of enclosed ground, sloping shades on the walls, chimneys, tiled floor and several doors.
3. A home is made by family which lives in it. These family members have bonds of affection and selfless spirit of service. The parents make the children feel that they are duly taken care of.
4. It has brothers and sisters, fathers and mothers. They all are devoted to one another. They are loving and helpful by nature.
2. Now complete these sentences about your house and home.
- My house is ________
2. The best thing about my home is _______
- My house is small in size but very comfortable. It is airy and well – ventilated. It has a covered varandah, a kitchen garden and a courtyard.
2. The best thing about my home is that my parents are very affectionate and caring. My brother and sister are very helpful to me with my studies. Selfless love and selfless service keep all of us together. Above all, there is discipline and constant watch on the activities of children.
How the Dog Found Himself a New Master! Chapter 2 NCERT Solution
Page no – 21
WORKING WITH THE TEXT
A. Discuss these questions in pairs before you write the answers.
1. Why did the dog feel the need for a master?
The dog felt sick and tired of wandering alone in search of food. Secondly, he was afraid of other animals stronger than him. So, he felt the need to have a master.
2. Who did the first choose as his master? Why did he leave that master?
The dog first chose a big wolf as his master. The wolf agreed to take him in his service. But the sight of a bear made him run off out of fear. Seeing that the bear was stronger than the wolf, the dog left him and changed his master.
3. Who did he choose next?
The dog first took up service with the wolf. But he found the wolf afraid of the bear, the stronger of the two. So he chose bear as his new master.
4. Why did he serve the Lion for a long time? (8)
The bear was strong but weaker than the lion. The lion ruled the forest. He was said to be the strongest beast on the earth. So the dog left the bear and joined the lion. He now felt safe and happy in the forest. So he served lion for a long time.
5. Who did he finally choose as his master and why? (9, 10)
The dog one day found the lion also afraid of man. The lion decided to keep away from man. So the dog finally realised that man was the strongest creature on the earth. So he joined man. He still continues to be man’s most loyal servant.
B. A summary of the story is given below. Fill in the blanks to complete it taking appropriate phrases from the box.
This is the story of ____________, who used to be ___________ . He decided to find a master _____ . First he found ____________ , but the wolf was afraid of __________ . The dog thought that the bear was ___________ . After some time the dog met ___________ , who seemed the strongest. He stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realised that the lion was __________ . To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.
This is the story of a dog, who used to be frightened. He decided to find a master stronger than anyone else. First he found a wolf, but the wolf was afraid of the bear. The dog thought that the bear was the strongest of all. After some time the dog met a lion, who seemed the strongest. He stayed with the lion for a long time. One day he realised that the lion was afraid of man. To this day, the dog remains man’s best friend.